pan-users

[Pan-users] ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:45:14 +0000 (UTC)

pan-attach and pan-attach-kd are scripts designed to allow posting
attachments with pan.  URL below.

pan-attach-kd is NEW and not as crude as pan-attach.  It actually has
graphical encoding and file selection dialogs! =8^)  However, in addition
to requiring uudeview, it requires kdialog for those fancy graphics.
kdialog is part of the kdebase package so those that use KDE or have it
installed should already have it.  Those that use GNOME or other X-windows
system environments and don't have KDE installed, well, you are out of
luck on this, but the cruder pan-attach should still work.

I also updated pan-attach.  The pass-thru editor feature wasn't working,
and I corrected a couple trivial errors in the help text.  With
pan-attach-kd now working, don't expect a lot of updates to this as it is
really rather crude and was supposed to be a proof of concept, which I
had /hoped/ someone else would run with, only they never did. However, if
anybody /does/ find it useful, I'd like to know, and will likely fix any
reported bugs as well, if they aren't too hard to fix, anyway.

Please, anyone interested in being able to attach files to pan posts who
has KDE installed, try pan-attach-kd.  I worked hard on it, and unlike the
admittedly extremely crude pan-attach, the kdialog version should be
actually decently usable for humans. =8^)  Feedback is welcomed.

Naturally, anyone wishing to take either of these concepts and improve
the implementation or port to xdialog or zenity (I guess that's the GNOME
scriptable dialogs thing) or tcl/tk, or even C/C++, go ahead, subject to
the GPL v2 or later, at your option, to match PAN (tho I'm not sure if it
has the or later clause).  I had /hoped/ to be using someone else's
graphical implementation by now, but it hasn't happened, so I did what I
could with the tools and skills I had to hand, thus the kdialog version.

Both of these scripts are available from:
http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n