pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Disk dowload slowdown

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Disk dowload slowdown
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:19:42 +0000 (UTC)

fred <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 12 Oct 2006
19:49:17 -0500:

>> With FreeBSD this only happens during assembly of cached articles into
>> final product at the Save As... location. Meanwhile it appears another
>> thread has already started on the next items in the queue, and all this
>> happens quickly enough that its very hard to say how download is
>> affected.
>>
> I neglected to mention that this is when it is occurring for me as well.

Two remarks here:

1) I tend to download to cache first, then process what's downloaded from
there.  That seems to avoid that bottleneck, and has other advantages
(which I've explained in other threads) as well, but it /does/ require a
rather larger cache -- mine's a 12-gig dedicated partition (well,
technically an LVM2 logical volume, but anyway).

2) A couple of the multiple connection tweaks/fixes in 0.116 should help,
as the networking should be rather more efficient now, tho they don't
affect the save speed directly.  If you are running <=0.115, try 0.116
and see if it's at least some better.  I've yet to do a full-bore test on
0.116, but going from the discussion on the bugs...