pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.117 "And we'll fly and we'll fall and we'll b

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.117 "And we'll fly and we'll fall and we'll burn"
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:01:04 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 17 Oct 2006
14:00:23 -0500:

> Darren wrote:
>> Charles Kerr wrote:
>>> IMO this is much ado about nothing.
>> So is that going to be the name for the 1.0 release?  ;-)
>
> Ha! :)
>
> mmmmmmmm, probably not.

LOL!  Agreed, both with the much about nothing sentiment,
and that such probably should /not/ be the name of 1.0.  =8^)

Just both a bit confusing and a bit humorous.  However, to the initiated,
who already appreciate the significance of the various code names and the
bit of uniqueness they give pan, well, that some versions happen to have
more than one code name only adds to the mystique and uniqueness of that
very useful application known as the "Pimp-Ass Newsreader", aka "PAN"
(altho the former reference is de-emphasized due to political correctness
these days... not that PAN, as the reference to a pagan god it is,
shouldn't be equally offensive to most of the same folks finding the
former offensive).

May $DEITY help us when names such as PAN, BitchX, the GIMP, and even
CLIT, cease to appear in the list of FLOSS community software.  At that
point corporate malaise will already have rotted us into a mere hollow
shell of what we once were, and what we could have become.  Yes, it's
shocking, but it's part of the same set of community traditions as
recursive acronyms, and to lose it would be to lose a part of ourselves.

JMHO (H for both humble and honest)