pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ubuntu 0.117 binaries

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ubuntu 0.117 binaries
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 01:03:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:36:11 -0500, Eric Waguespack wrote:

> I have compiled plenty... but I guess i avoided it in this instance because
> of a few fuzzy bits:
>
> if you have a deb installed for a package, should you uninstall it before
> installing from source?
> if you don't will your dpkg package inventory be hosed?
> how do you uninstall source? make uninstall? if so, does that mean you have
> to retain the source in order to uninstall it?
>
> etc.

<sigh>  One of the biggest problems is that there are so *many* ways to
accomplish the same end -- depending mostly on who is making the rules.

I just booted ubuntu two weeks early, so I could try to answer your
question ;o)

I installed the ubuntu stable package for pan, and I noticed that they
installed the executable as /usr/bin/pan.

Okay.  You don't want to install your pan-beta-test in /usr/bin because
it would destroy your existing pan-stable.  So, what to do?

I can tell you how *I* choose to do it on my every-day gentoo box, and
it is very similar to the equivalent setup on ubuntu:

I have the gentoo-pan-stable package installed as /usr/bin/pan, so I
don't want to overwrite that, either.

I choose to download pan sources from CVS into my own private
/home/walt/src/pan directory, but you can also put it anywhere you
have write permission, and you can just as easily use the source
tarball from rebelbase.com instead of CVS (all equivalent).

To avoid installing your newly-compiled pan in /usr/bin, just
use this syntax when compiling pan from source:

# make prefix=/usr/local
# make prefix=/usr/local install

I hope it should be obvious that your new pan will be installed
in /usr/local/bin, and therefore you need to type its absolute
path if you want to run it:  # /usr/local/bin/pan  or else you
will run /usr/bin/pan by default.  (You can change your $PATH
variable to work abound this, instead, if you like.)

Your question about using source files from ubuntu is beyond my
personal experience.  I ran debian for several years and never did
do any compiling from their source packages, so I can't advise you on
where they put the source files or how to manage them, sorry.

I've left out many details for the sake of brevity, so don't
hesitate to ask for details if you really want them.