pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:20:42 +0200

On Mon 23 Oct 2006 at 23:11:59 +0000, Jack Cuyler wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:13:38 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
> > "Jack Cuyler"
> > <address@hidden> posted
> > address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:13:43
> > +0000:
> >
> >> +TMP=${TMP:-/tmp}
> >> +TEMPFILE=${TMP}/panpost.$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S%N)

> I wasn't aware of the mktmp command when I posted, but the date command in
> the variable name will take care of any race conditions, unless two
> instances are run at the same nanosecond. It's possible, I guess, but
> highly unlikely.

IF the time is precise to the nanosecond, which you can't count on.  You
should count on no better than 1-second resolution, %N is probably some
Linux extension (repeat after me: All the world is NOT Linux - funny how
that used to be in the past All the world is NOT a VAX and now I have a
VAX running Ultrix and NetBSD). But if you combine the process id ($$)
with second-resolution time, you should be safe.

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.