pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: keyboard help

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: keyboard help
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:55:56 +0000 (UTC)

"M B" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 28
Oct 2006 07:25:05 -0400:

> I didnt really want to be on this mailing list, but where do I go for
> keyboard help?

??  I'm not sure what you are asking there, but the keyboard shortcuts are
listed beside the menu entries if appropriate.  Note that it's possible to
remap keyboard shortcuts if desired.  I won't go into that here but ask if
you want to do so and can't figure it out -- that part's not so intuitive,
but it's not all pan's fault as pan is simply using gtk+ for the widgets
and inheriting its keyboard shortcut policies.

BTW, you didn't mention what version of pan, either.  Some of the below
assumes the 0.1xx series (currently 0.117), shortly to be 1.0.  If you are
using the older 0.14.x series, say so, as it's rather different.  It is
BTW also old and no longer under development.  You are encouraged to
upgrade to the newest pan, but of course it's your choice.  There are
major differences, however, thus my asking what version you are using.

> There is no users manual???

Not at this point.  There's a FAQ, and there's this list/group, and the
pan basics are intended to be intuitive enough that no manual is needed,
altho it doesn't always work out quite that way, thus this group/list.
(Some of us read this list as a newsgroup with pan, using the list2news
gateway at gmane.org.  Thus, for some of us, the list /is/ a newsgroup.)

> How to re-filter.. I said dont match read articles and I marked a bunch
> as read, and then even read a few... how do I get those off the list?

They don't disappear from the display until you reload the display, either
by switching groups, or by toggling a filter (say the read messages
filter, but it shouldn't matter) off and back on again.

In any case, if you either shut down pan or visit another group and then
come back, all the previously read messages should no longer be displayed.

(pan only saves group state when you change groups or shutdown, however,
so if it crashes while you are in a group, when you come back, it will
have forgotten the messages you had read since the last time to switched
groups, and will show them as all unread once again.  Thus, if you have a
problem with crashes, get in the habit of switching out and back to a
group occasionally, so it remembers the messages you've read or deleted in
the case of a crash.  By the same token, if you accidentally delete
something you wanted to save, without changing groups, deliberately crash
pan (killall -9 pan works here), reload it and the group, and your
accidental deletions should be restored.)

> How to mark current thread as read?

To mark current thread as read, select thread (or subthread if you only
want it), hit mark-read.

> .. and ideally new articles I get tomorrow in this thread are marked as
> read too.

For that you want scores.  You can score the thread as desired (probably
ignore or at least negative, in this case), and it'll not normally
display.  However, it doesn't get marked read either.  That's an option
scheduled for a later version.  In the meantime, you can either set pan to
display the ignored and negative scored articles and mark-read manually,
or mark-read the entire group when you are done with it (there's an option
for that in preferences).

> Can I make space goto the next unread article?

Space is by default read-more, in the same article until it's done, then
either next-article or next-unread, depending on what you have set in
preferences.  I believe "n" is the key normally mapped to next-unread.  As
I said, you can change that if desired, but I'll leave that for later, as
it's possible all you are looking for is the next message vs. next unread
message option in preferences, or are using old-pan, which is somewhat
different again.

Hope that's of help.  If you have more questions, or are using old-pan
(0.14.x or earlier), just ask.