pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan Docs 070101

From: Tim Kynerd
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan Docs 070101
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:49:06 -0600

Mike wrote:
On Friday 05 Jan 2007 22:55, Darren Albers wrote:
think adding the is correct,

Naturally, I disagree.

would you say the people in car or would you say the people in the car?

Unfortunately, the english language isn't that consistent. A car is an object, Usenet isn't (that probably isn't the technically correct reason, but I'm no professor of english). Let me put it this way, would you say: "people in Birmingham" or "people in the Birmingham". To me, the latter would only make sense if there's a river called the Birmingham river and you were referring to them, rather than people in the city of Birmingham.

Unfortunately, the English language isn't even that consistent. Usenet is a medium, but we're not even consistent about how we refer to media. You watch TV, but you listen to the radio and you go to the movies; you surf the Internet, but you post to Usenet.

I can imagine that in its early days some people may have referred to it as "the Usenet," but by now usage has settled on simply "Usenet." I don't think I've ever heard or seen anyone refer to "the Usenet." (Except maybe in old RFCs?) My two cents.

Best,
Tim