pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring broken?

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring broken?
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 02:38:33 +0200 (CEST)

Richard Gold <address@hidden> wrote:

>Per Hedeland wrote:
>> I think I've seen some messages about scoring problems, but I didn't pay
>> much attention since I don't use it much - I do however use it
>> occasionaly for "kill file" functionality, i.e. set some authors to
>> -9999 in the hope of not seeing their posts. This definitely doesn't
>> work right in current versions (checked in 0.125 and 0.126) - when I
>> enter a group with no unread articles, the -9999 articles are included
>> in the header pane even though I don't have "Match Scores of -9999"
>> ticked in View -> Header Pane - the Score column is empty for those
>> posts.
>>
>> If I actually select one of those articles, the -9999 appears in the
>> Score column, but that's a bit late... (And if I try to "Ignore Author"
>> it, Pan kindly informs me that I already have a matching entry...) If I
>> exit and restart Pan at that point, the articles are gone when I enter
>> the group. So, it seems scoring isn't applied to newly-fetched articles,
>> only to those already "present" when you enter a group.

>My workaround is retrieve headers, exit pan, restart, and then the
>filtered articles are no longer there.

That will work (if you don't have "Get new headers when entering group"
on - of course I do...), but it's obviously an absurd thing to have to
do.

>I would also like to see a button, menu command, or keystroke
>combination to "apply filters now".

Hm, there is an "add and rescore" button when you add a score entry, and
changing the settings under View -> Header Pane seems to take effect
immediately - other than that, I don't know when such a button/whatever
would be needed - if scoring worked as it should. If I remember right,
in old-pan "Get New Headers in Selected Group" would also (re-)apply
filtering to the already gotten headers, it doesn't now, and I don't
really think that it should - but maybe it's somewhere in that area that
the scoring of new articles got lost?

--Per Hedeland