pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.128 "SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.128 "SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea"
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:15:07 +0000 (UTC)

"Calin A. Culianu" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:47:21 -0400:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Charles Kerr wrote:
>
>> This is another incremental release -- bugfixes, some speedups, a
>> little more polish, and one of the better release titles in awhile. ;)
>>

> I'm curious: what does "SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea" mean??

Pan's version names are a bit like the old closed source Easter Egg
idea... just as certain users of closed source software find it
interesting and challenging to discover various "Easter Egg" hidden
features, such as the famous flight sim in MS Office (no idea what
version, but I've read of it, AFAIK it was in Excel, however), so pan
users can have great fun googling the various version name strings. =8^)
(My favorite must be "She had eyes like strange sins", due to all it
suggests that remains unsaid.  =8^)

In this case, google comes up empty on the full phrase, but there's a
single hit (in Spanish, it appears) on 'SR/CL "toynbee idea"' (the inside
quotes remain in the google search), and several hundred (646 reported)
in English on simply "toynbee idea", including a wikipedia article that's
interesting.  As best I can tell, not knowing Spanish, that one is
related.

I won't say more than that, or give specific links, as it'd ruin the
experience of discovering for one's self if desired, but now that you've
stimulated me into actually looking it up, I can certainly see why the
idea/quote would have appealed to Charles.  It's just the right mix of
enigma and googleable citation. =8^)

I'm not sure where Leitmotiv part comes from, however.

BTW, there's a(n unfortunately now outdated) list of pan version strings
0.9.3-0.14.0.91, here:

http://molelog.molehill.org/blox/Computers/Software/PanVersions.writeback