pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Two options I REALLY miss

From: Bruce Bowler
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Two options I REALLY miss
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:22:24 -0400

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:02:01 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> Bruce Bowler <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed,
> 25 Apr 2007 09:19:02 -0400:
>
> > There are 2 options that got dropped from the 0.1xx line that were in
> > the 0.14.x line that I REALLY REALLY miss.  They are options that I
> > used at least weekly, if not daily...
> >
> > While I understand the desire to minimize code bloat, they are 2
> > options that I consider essential in a news reader.
> >
> > They are "Print article" and "Email article".
> >
> > Any chance they'll be making a comeback?  If I could pick only 1, it
> > would be print.  I realize there are workarounds, but they are, IMHO,
> > all a pain, and make the application less than user friendly.
>
> The print article feature is feature-request bugged.  Charles says it
> /will/ be making a comeback at some point (and IIRC the accels.txt
> hotkey dump still has a reserved print function, that doesn't work ATM,
> of course), but he's planning on using the newly added to GTK print
> functionality when he does add it back.  According to the last
> discussion I saw, it's actually in released GTK now, but only the last
> version or two.  So anyway, when it /does/ return, don't expect it to
> work on old GTK-2.6 versions or the like, as they don't include the
> functionality pan will be using.

I don't really care *how* pan does it, I just want a button I can push or
a menu item I can select that will print the current article.  It would
be *nice* if there were a way to customize it a bit, perhaps even to
*not* use the GTK stuff but rather to execute a user specified command (I
use enscript to print mail for example).

> You mentioned workarounds, so you probably already know about the save
> text, open in your favorite text editor or whatever, and print from
> there, and that's just not cutting it.  If you didn't know, well,
> that's how I'd do it, anyway.

That's exactly what I do (and it's probably causing me to save a few
trees 'cause I print a lot less now :-)

> As for mailing article, pan has that functionality now, tho it uses the
> configured mailer helper now instead of handling it all itself.  As
> such, I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to as missing now.

The only references to mail that I see in the version of pan I'm using
(0.125, self compiled, on fc5) are under Edit>>Preferences, where I see
the option to tell pan which mail reader to use, and under post which has
specified under edit preferences).  True, I had forgotten about "reply to
author in mail" which can be used to do what I want to do, which is
forward the article on to someone else, but it adds the > marks which (if
I remember correctly) old pan didn't do if you used the "forward article"
option.  If I missed an option, please give me a hint where to look...

Bruce

--
Bruce Bowler        | May you have a lawsuit in which you know you are