pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:10:18 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 14 May 2007 16:13:22
+0000:

> On Mon, 14 May 2007 10:11:21 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
>> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 13 May 2007
>> 19:15:28 +0000:
>>
>>> I also have a fairly complex set of
>>> rules set up in old pan, so it could be something in my old rules
>>> that's causing the behaviour I expect that's not being carried over to
>>> new pan (sans rules, obviously).
>>
>> There's something about that statement that isn't quite parsing for me,
>> so I'm not sure if you are saying you copied over the old rules to the
>> new pan, or if you did /not/ copy them over, and started new.
>
> I'm using the old scoring rules, I was talking about rules in the sense
> of old pan's rules engine (which is not in new pan) - so I'd mark a
> thread as ignored if certain individuals were participating in it.  I
> can adjust that for using the scorefile only, but my old setup works
> significantly different than is possible with new pan.

/That/ is why it wasn't parsing!  I had forgotten about rules (to
actually do something with scores).  /Now/ what you said earlier makes
complete sense.

I too miss those rules.  Charles says expect something simpler later, but
meanwhile, that's the biggest thing still missing in new-pan from old-
pan.  Scoring allows watching/ignoring the subthread (change "subject" to
"references") and all sorts of other stuff, but without rules, one can't
actually automatically "ignore" or "watch" /anything/.  One can't even
properly set pan not to display ignored, because those don't get marked
read (or deleted) so then they still sit there as unread!  (Setting auto-
mark-read when exiting the group doesn't work either, as I'll often
deliberately keep messages marked unread, to look at later.)  Right now,
the best one can do is use the color coding to spot and mark-read (or
mark to download right away for watched) manually.  I'd be far happier if
"ignored" simply went away, not adding to post counts or unread counts or
forcing me to manually deal with them at all.  However, scores are half
the solution anyway, and do make the rest easier.