pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:34:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:10:18 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> /That/ is why it wasn't parsing!  I had forgotten about rules (to
> actually do something with scores).  /Now/ what you said earlier makes
> complete sense.

I kinda figured that was where the communication was breaking down. :-)

> One can't even properly set pan not to display ignored, because those
> don't get marked read (or deleted) so then they still sit there as
> unread!

I've noticed that - it doesn't actually bother me too much, but the rest
of the thread is hidden, so the context gets lost - hence the reason I
put a hotkey in for read/unread. :-)

> at later.)  Right now, the best one can do is use the color coding to
> spot and mark-read (or mark to download right away for watched)
> manually.

Yeah, or more generic scores - for example, my group of people who I
ignore (which is actually for reasons other than one normally ignores
people - I ignore them because they *do* know what they're talking about,
so I know I don't have to jump in on the discussion - it's a support
thing) are set up in a rule in old pan, but in new pan, I'd set up
scoring rules instead.  I just haven't done that yet.

> I'd be far happier if "ignored" simply went away, not adding
> to post counts or unread counts or forcing me to manually deal with them
> at all.  However, scores are half the solution anyway, and do make the
> rest easier.

I actually like having the ignored setting, but yeah, using scores most
effectively is something that I've not done yet.  The other things that I
use rules for is auto-purging headers/messages from groups after 'x' time
(which is already accounted for in new pan, though I wish I could set
arbitrary values for specific groups rather than on a per server basis),
and for downloading headers automatically.

Jim