pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header li

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header lines by Date only
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:01:05 +0000 (UTC)

SciFi <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 13 Aug 2007
11:34:25 +0000:

> I could always provide screenshots, oh but wait pan2 can't do file
> attachments (yet properly) can it...  ~sigh~

FWIW, I've a script that allows pan to do attachments, at least UUEncoded
ones, by hooking into the external editor functionality.  (MIME/Base64
would require access to the headers, which the external editor function
doesn't get, and yEnc doesn't work on new-pan tho it does on old 0.14.x
pan, as new-pan uses an body text editor widget that won't take the raw
yEnc encoding.)

The script requires uuenview from the uudeview package (I'm told uuencode
works to, IDR whether minor script changes are required or not), to do
the actual encoding.

Actually, there are two scripts, pan-attach, a /very/ rough original UI-
less (controlled by keywords entered in the message-body before invoking
the script thru the external editor button) proof of concept, and a MUCH
easier to use pan-attach-kd, that makes use of (therefore depending on)
kdialog (part of kdebase) to create a dialog based UI.

I had originally hoped someone would take my proof of concept and run
with it, but when no one did, I created the -kd version, as much for my
own use as that of others, but others have found it useful enough I at
least got some response and feedback on it.  Again, since pan is gtk
based, I half expected someone with strong feelings about the KDE
requirement to take the script and modify it to work with zenity
(formerly gdialog, gnome's parallel to kdialog) or xdialog, but nobody
with the skills has apparently been interested, and the kdialog version
suits my needs just fine, so that's where it stays.  Perhaps if new-pan
had used an editor widget compatible with yEnc, it would have been enough
more useful that someone would have had the necessary motivation.  Oh,
well.  It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it's something I
could throw together with the skills I had, and with no better solution
available, it does the job and scratches at least my itch.

http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n/

Someday, maybe I'll actually get around to incorporating the couple
improvements folks have supplied patches for, but meanwhile, the scripts,
such as they are, are available at the above site.