pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Filtering unusable slow

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering unusable slow
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 01:14:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:18:05 +0000, Frederik Himpe wrote:

> I tried to gather some profiling information. I took the most simple
> case: I start pan, and without doing anything, after a few seconds, I
> close it. It will take a very long time to quit.

Well, I was hoping somebody smart would step in and solve your problem,
but no.

> You can download a 2.3 MB tarbal on
> http://artipc10.vub.ac.be/files/pan.tar.bz2 which contains an strace of
> this process of more than 40 MB, and also a few gdb traces I gathered by
> running pan in gdb, and Ctrl-C'ing it several times after I quit...

I'm confused by 'after I quit'.  I meant to Ctrl-C at the gdb prompt
while pan is wasting time filtering.  Did you do something different?

> I am running GNOME 2.19. I would not be surprised if this was related to
> the problem.

Could be, but I don't know.  Are your pan and gome true 64-bit executables
and did you compile them yourself?