pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 502 rejected by RADIUS: (no message)

From: Greg Lee
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 502 rejected by RADIUS: (no message)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:17:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 00:22:02 +0100, Rhialto wrote:

> Radius is an authentication server.

Right, and it's a MS Windows thing, of some sort.  Probably
it manages passwords, or something similar. (I know almost
nothing about MS Windows.)  So a Radius server might be invoked
by some MS Windows-oriented software if there is some reason to
think you need to cough up a password, but something went wrong
when Radius was asked for your password.

Why would you need a password?  Neither of the News servers
I use require passwords.  Well, maybe you offered a password
when you (not you personally, actually, Pan) tried to open a
connection with your News server.  So I suggest you look at
what you told Pan about this News server to make sure you
didn't supply some info (like a password) which would lead
Pan to think it ought to engage in an authentication
dialogue (unless, of course, it ought to).  Maybe there are
some stray characters that somehow got into a field that Pan
thinks is a password, for instance.

What could have gone wrong when Radius was asked to supply
a password for you?  The most obvious thing is that you have
no Radius server at all.  That would lead to an error.

I think Radius servers are things you expect to find on local
networks, so there is a good possibility that this mistaken
invocation of Radius is a local problem and has nothing to do
with Earthlink.

--
Greg