pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Keith Richie
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:21:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:04:23 +0000, Beso wrote:

> 2008/3/30, Duncan <address@hidden>:
>>
>> walt <address@hidden> posted
>> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 29 Mar 2008
>> 15:40:39 -0700:
>>

>> > In this particular case I agree with your idea to include glib.h --
>> > that's what that header file is for and it would have prevented this
>> > particular compile error.
>>

>> The problem there, as mentioned elsewhere (maybe on the bug not the
>> thread?) is that glib 2.12 and below is different again, and doesn't
>> include glib.h.
>>
>> So including gmessages.h works up thru 2.14 but not for 2.16, including
>> glib.h works for 2.14 and 2.16 but not 2.12 and previous, and including
>> gtestutils.h works for 2.16.  None of the above work for the entire
>> range from 2.4, the apparent previous minimum required (according to
>> Gentoo's dependencies anyway, I don't know of anyone actually using
>> that far back), thru 2.16 and potentially forward.
>

> well this wouldn't be difficult to fix in gentoo since the ebuild could
> see what version is installed and apply a patch for fixing the includes
> based on the installed version of glib. the other distros might need
> another way to fix this up, though.

I'm waiting on Arch to upgrade glib. It's still in testing ATM. Once it
comes down, I'll append the pkgbuild to include the new patch.

I believe any packagers for other distro's will only have to patch
against glib if they are currently shipping that version. If Ubuntu
sticks with 2.14, then no need to worry, for them.