pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:19:29 +0000 (UTC)

Beso <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:04:23 +0000:

> well this wouldn't be difficult to fix in gentoo since the ebuild could
> see what version is installed and apply a patch for fixing the includes
> based on the installed version of glib. the other distros might need
> another way to fix this up, though.

Imagine meeting you here! =8^)

Yes, Gentoo can quite easily (almost trivially, now that the parameters
are known) fix it with ebuild wizardry, no problem there.  Similarly the
various binary distributions, most of which after all only support a
relatively narrow version range on actively supported releases, building
everything to what they ship with and perhaps supporting the next stable
during their support life.

The problem is that ideally, distributions support upstream, and upstream
ideally wants to support the widest version range possible.  Creating a
patch not just usable for a particular distribution, or a particular
distribution's version range, but for the widest range possible, now
/that/ is a rather less trivial task, but it's the one we've set out to
accomplish, therefore best helping not just one distribution, but
upstream, and with it, as wide a range of existing and upgrade versions
as reasonably possible.