pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan 0.132 - Problem with news.ecomstation.nl

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan 0.132 - Problem with news.ecomstation.nl
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:51:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:30:22 +0200, Kai Wuttke wrote:

> Hi!
>
> There will be no group list created / downloaded.
>
> A user name and password are not necessary.
>
> Eventlog:

Maybe someone (Duncan?) who knows the nntp protocol better than I do
could comment.  Here is my telnet session with news.ecomstation.nl:

CAPABILITIES
500 Command not implemented.

HELP
LIST [ACTIVE|NEWSGROUPS|DISTRIBUTIONS|SUBSCRIPTIONS|OVERVIEW.FMT|
ACTIVE.TIMES] [wildmat]

LIST NEWSGROUPS
503 No list of newsgroup descriptions available.

Seems to me that the server is not in compliance with the nntp protocol.
This is from RFC 3977:
5.2.  CAPABILITIES
5.2.1.  Usage
   This command is mandatory.
   Syntax
     CAPABILITIES [keyword]

The problem is that pan is stuck in an infinite loop of sending the
unimplemented LIST NEWSGROUPS command and so it never finishes.
Perhaps pan should be better able to deal with non-standard servers,
I don't know.  I see that Thunderbird works properly with that server.