pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 04:25:08 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:24:42
+0000:

> I'm not clear about what you mean by 'kept'.  Did you explicitly save
> each article individually in a new file somewhere in your home
> directory?
>
> If not, then maybe you were depending on pan to 'keep' the posts forever
> in its own temporary cache?  I know of no news client that will do that,
> because the cache really is temporary and eventually must be purged of
> old articles to make room for new ones.

Actually, there are some that will do that.  I believe Forte Agent
(MSWormOS) is one of them.

And new-pan can as well, tho you have to set it up to do so as the
default cache size is only 10 MB, and to set it you have to edit the
preferences.xml file directly.  That's in addition to disabling expires
entirely, which /can/ be done in the GUI.