pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:22:22 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 17 Aug
2008 16:23:15 +0100:

> Does (new) Pan warn if the cache is approaching full?

No.  It's designed with a tiny cache that it uses as a ring-buffer, FIFO
style.  However, I operate three separate instances (set and export the
PAN_HOME environmental variable before starting pan, and it'll use what
it points to instead of ~/.pan2, I use this to run separate binary, test
and text instances), two of which I have set to several gigs of cache,
and it uses it just fine -- except of course being slightly slower to
startup, but nowhere near what old-pan was.

>> Perhaps with said clarification, new-pan will fill your needs after
>> all.
>
>     It would seem so, and I will give it another try.
>
>     But first I need to check on its handling of multiple servers.  Does
>     new
> Pan still fetch automatically from all servers defined (for subscribed
> newsgroups)?
>    That would be a problem for me, as although I routinely fetch from 3
> servers, I have two or three others in reserve for temporary use on the
> occasions when a regular server is down, and I would not want fetches
> from the reserve servers to be done routinely...

It does still fetch from all of them automatically (tho it won't check
backup servers until it has failed to find a message on the main
servers), and AFAIK there's no in-pan way of disabling a server, only to
set multiple levels of backup.  However, you could use a stub-script to
start it like I do, only instead of or in addition to setting the
instance, you could switch servers.xml between a config with only your
main servers, and one with all of them.