pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)

From: Roman
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 19:21:52 +0400

> Correct. The Cyrillic spelling for "Administrator", according to the few
> bits of Russian I had in school.

Correct. I'll post in UTF-8 this time, to improve the chance of recognition:
áÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ. (the last letter should look like Latin p, if it's not, it's
another bug 8=])

And this has nothing to do with news server auth, this is the Windows
username. As far as my understanding goes, the problem is as follows. GTK+
has all strings in UTF-8, right? And the settings are to be saved at
C:\Documents and Settings\áÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ\.pan2\something. If I'm correct, it
passes the name to fopen or brethren without converting to local encoding
(which is cp1251), and hilarity ensues. In addition, when I try to read an
article, it actually says "Can't open file C:\Documents and
Settings\áÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ\.pan2\article-cache\blahblah".

I didn't actually dig the source, just an educated guess.