pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames (Windows)

From: Роман Донченко
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames (Windows)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:58:00 +0400

So... I applied my search-and-replace skills, and the attached patch came out. You should notice that most of the changes are replacements of blah(...) with g_blah(...). I also altered the meaning of the block of #define's as noted in my other post.

HOWEVER! There are two BIG catches:

1) I didn't test it. Lame, I know, but setting up the environment for compilation is too much work. Since I didn't make any significant structural changes, it should compile, and since the g_ functions are equivalent to plain functions on Unix, there should be no behavioural differences on that platform. If anybody who can compile a Windows build does so, I'll be grateful.

2) Unfortunately, this patch is not enough. First of all, there is "uulib" which uses fopen, but doesn't use Glib. I don't know how is it used, so I'm unable to predict what consequences it entails. Second, and much more important, is the usage of C++ streams throughout Pan. Obviously, Glib doesn't include wrappers for them, so the half of the I/O that uses streams is still broken. Fixing it is possible, but the only solution I see is writing a g_fopen-like wrapper for fstream::open, and changing the code to use it. Possible, but tedious.

Opinions?

Roman.