pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Finding unread posts

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Finding unread posts
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:27:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 22:34:22 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below,
> on  Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:09:27 +0000:
>
>>      Take a look at a thread called "Why is firefox such a beast?" on
>> gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general -- it's a good example of something
>> that happens on any very long thread. Lots of the posts get their
>> titles indented so far that they disappear completely.
>>
>>      So you can't see whether they're bolded, or underlined, or
>> neither. To find new ones, you have to spot the difference between the
>> opened envelope icon and the closed one -- not exactly easy for ancient
>> eyeballs peering through trifocals.
>>
>>      Might some future release of Pan perhaps introduce a color change
>> in the icon?
>
> An icon color change may be useful, yes.  You might wish to file a bug
> suggesting it.

        Hmmm ... OK, I'll try to get to it. Starting with where and how,
of course, but I presume I can manage those, when i find time, or
you'd've warned me of any gotchas.

> Meanwhile, here, I use the "Match only unread articles" toggle under
> View, Header pane.  Normally, I keep it toggled to only show me unread
> (make sure the show only matching articles option, in the same place, is
> set as well), so everything I see is unread and I don't have to care
> about the other indicators (icon, bold).  I also have the "Expand all
> threads when entering group" option (Edit, Edit Preferences, Behavior,
> Groups) toggled on, so the only time I see collapsed threads is if I've
> collapsed them.

        Hmmm.... Dunno if I could operate that way. I use Pan mainly for
monitoring *very* busy lists, such as the fedora one I mentioned; and my
threads may go a long time without follow-ups, or get as busy as the one
I gave as an example; I seldom know which in advance. But I highlight all
mine ASAP, which then serve as reminders; in some cases, that means ask
again elsewhere.

        Is your usage much like that?

> If I find I need to go back and read a message originally read in a
> previous session, I toggle the view only unread option to off, so it's
> showing me read articles as well.  Actually, while pan doesn't have a
> default keyboard accelerator mapped to do that, pan does allow keyboard
> accelerator customization, and I've mapped the "R" key to toggle the
> option, so all I have to do is hit "R" and it toggles for me.

        I'll have to look up keyboard accelerator; it sounds like what we
used to call a macro --several lines of anything from text to several
nested commands, all invoked by something like Ctrl-Y or Alt-Z.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3