pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN

From: Rick Barry
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 05:51:51 -0800 (PST)

I've answered your questions inline:

--- On Sun, 11/9/08, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Duncan <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 3:07 AM
> Rick Barry <address@hidden>
> posted address@hidden,
> excerpted below, on
> Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:01:18 -0800:
>
> > I'm sorry to say, the explanations are over my
> head.
>
> OK, let's get real basic, then.  I'll give you a
> nice and simple step-by-
> step, but to keep it really simple, I need the answer to
> the following
> questions:
>
> 1.  What is your home directory, normally your username as
> well?  Thus,
> if you login as fred, your home dir will normally be
> /home/fred/.

/home/rick

> 2.  What do you want to call your two pan instances?  Are
> you going to
> have one for binaries and another for text?  Or one for
> mp3s and another
> for wallpaper?  Or one for pr0n and another for everything
> else, or ???

Giga and Astra (after the servers I'll be using for each one)

> 3.  Do you already have a bin dir in your home dir, ~/bin?
> (Note that ~/
> is a shortcut to your home dir, no matter what your
> username or home
> directory.  Since I don't know your username or home
> directory yet, I
> used the ~ form.)

No, it resides in the file system at apparently at the same level as home.

> 4.  Do you want to start with the same thing in both
> instances, or would
> you prefer to setup the second one from scratch?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the starting with the same thing. I don't
want the 2 set ups to share anything for downloads and the groups accessed
won't be the same either, if that helps answer the question.

> We'll start with that.  That's enough to setup the
> two instances, and to
> create two simple starter scripts.  Once that's
> working, we can get a bit
> fancier if you want.

Again,

Thanks.