pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN-a couple of glitches

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN-a couple of glitches
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 06:40:55 +0000 (UTC)

SciFi <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 15 Nov 2008
21:50:22 +0000:

> The servers.xml file(s), in your new location(s), need to be edited by
> hand: in particular the <newsrc> string(s) need to match the new
> location(s) of your newsrc-N file(s) for each server, even if in the
> same subdir there.  It will become evident once you see. That seems to
> be the only (or rare) thing that pan2 hard–codes for some reason. And
> pan2 seems to change that correlation sometimes, so hopefully your files
> did not get altered in that regard since then.

Hmm... that may explain...  As I said I haven't been able to reproduce
this problem tho I've seen it reported a couple times, but I cloned my
existing config so already knew I had to adjust the pointers to point at
the new location.

For setup of a new instance, I'd have expected a new pan setup to get it
right as long as the PAN_HOME variable was set properly.  If it's not, if
that bit is hard-coded as you say, that's certainly a bug (the more so
since it was Charles himself that I got the PAN_HOME hint from, he said
it worked, so if it didn't, it's a bug).  And that bug may explain the
several "pan forgets my newsgroup settings" bugs I've seen reported, but
could never duplicate.

> (coulda sworn I put a post of that tidbit here or in the devel group,
> but cannot find it)

If you did, you sufficiently obfuscated it that I didn't recognize the
implications, because this is the first I've seen of it, and I follow
both groups/lists religiously.  Well, either that, or maybe that post
didn't make it to gmane, and thus not to me, since that's how I follow
the pan lists/groups.

But thanks!  That potentially clears up /that/ mystery!

@ Rick:

Are you following this or do I need to break it down a bit (now that I
have the new info myself)?