pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] compile ?

From: Kurt Schilling
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] compile ?
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 06:33:17 -0500

Travis wrote:
> I want to compile Pan 0.133 from source on my netbook.  I have Ubuntu dual
> boot with XP.
> I have just done "apt-get install build-essential" that I read about on
> http://www.linux.com/feature/54945 paragraph 9.  The rest of the directions I
> don't get.  Any help will be appreciated.

As a fellow Ubuntu user, I'll try to clarify things a little.

First thing I'd do in trying to follow the directions in the referenced
paragraph is to go ahead and use  sudo apt-get build-dep Pan. This will
hopefully go find all of the dependencies that you may need to fill to
build Pan from source. Next, apt-get install checkinstall. This won't
hurt and will help in building this package and any future packages that
you compile.

Once checkinstall has been installed, you will begin the compiling of
the package. If paragraph 9 is unclear to you, take a look at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Get_source_and_compile  which is one of
many how to compile articles.
Here is another:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Compiling_Programs_from_Source
albeit a bit older.

I'd also recommend reading the article linked in paragraph 9 Joe Barr's
CLI Magic feature on using checkinstall.

I hope that this helps clear things up a bit. Good luck. If I can "roll
my own", I'm sure that you will be successful too.
Cheers,
Kurt Steinhauser