pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:07:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:08:48 -0600, HarryB wrote:

> Hello Jim,
>
> What makes me think it is a problem with Pan is that after being unable
> to post the reply, I booted into Windows, fired up Free Agent and
> downloaded the same thread. I then replied to the same message using the
> same words I had originally typed into Pan.

It may be a header that Pan is adding, but again, you have to ask the
posting provider for the details because only they know what's in their
post filter.  I've run NNTP servers on more than a few occasions, and I
can tell you definitively that the "441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
filter)" means that it's something being filtered by the provider - and
*only* the provider can give you more specifics.

We could guess, but it would be nothing but a guess.  Post filters on the
systems that I've worked on are perl scripts and can filter on anything
in the headers or the body of the message.  There is no way to know what
specifically that provider has put in their filter without asking them or
experimenting.

It may be as simple as they've blocked posts where the NNTP-Posting-Agent
isn't one of a set list of allowed clients, or where it excludes Pan
explicitly for some reason.  Or it could be that it doesn't like the
format of the NNTP-Posting-Date header.  Or under "More Headers" you
could have a header in there that they want to reject.

I've written post filters myself, and I've excluded based on e-mail
address, posting agent, IP address range, and words in the body text.  It
really can be anything.  You have to ask the provider to help you
diagnose it.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson