pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com

From: Kurt Schilling
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:34:07 -0500

Beartooth wrote:
>       I have posted (today or quite recently) to both grc.techtalk and
> grc.techtalk.linux. Just now, I followed a suggestion (replying to a post
> of mine) on one of them that I cross-post to both, with follow-ups set to
> one.
>
>       I did.
>
>       I kept getting warnings, editing posting profiles, finding
> nothing wrong, ad nauseam. Finally I told Pan to post anyway.
>
>       It came back instantly with an assertion as bald as it was
> false : "You are not allowed to post to _____."
>
>       Whence cometh this bad craziness?? What do I do about it???

At grc.com you have to set a posting ID. This is an authentication that
Steve mandated years ago. This is called your CECIL ID.

Fire up your browser and go here:
http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm

Milly has all the answers about how to set up you CECIL ID etc..
Not so subtle hint: your CECIL ID will be you USID.

> Before posting any articles to the GRC server you must configure your
> newsreader to logon with a Username and Password. You can NOT use the
> "anonymous" or "don't need to logon" mode of your newsreader if you wish to
> post your own articles. You CAN use anonymous logon if you only wish to read
> existing articles.
>
> If you are new to this system, please scroll down to
> the "How It Works" section below to learn more.
>
> Briefly . . .
> 1             Choose one long and unique passphrase of up to 29 characters.
>
> 2             Then place it in each of your newsreader's username and
> password fields.
>
> 3             Finally, set your newsreader to always logon using them. That's
> all there is to it.

HtH,

Cheers,
Kurt Steinhauser