pan-users

[Pan-users] Save attachment file permissions

From: Paul Crawford
Subject: [Pan-users] Save attachment file permissions
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:30:55 +0000

I just tried saving a suspect file of the avi.exe sort to see how it behaved under LINUX using Pan 0.132 and I found it used '755' permission settings thus rendering it (theoretically, at least) executable.

OK, I know this is a Windows virus file, but it seems very bad practice as no doubt someone could post a shell script of malicious program for LINUX as well.

Should it not default to '644' under *all* cases, and at least force the user to use chmod if they REALLY do want to execute some downloaded attachment?

Thinking here of my non-tech family who now enjoy the relative lack of software threats by "embracing the penguin"...