pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:13:15 -0800

Paul Crawford wrote:

One thing that bothers me is the way LINUX seems to default to
execute-enabled on such drives (most likely USB sticks). OK, you might
want to run stuff off a CD for installing, but given the ease of viruses
in the world of Windows to propagate using either autorun or user
gullibility it would be far better if any USB drives were mounted with
the 'noexec' option. Any ideas of how to configure that?

I assume you are using some sort of automounting, or you would
just do the mounting yourself, right?

The gnome system uses its own gnome-volume-manager to configure
automounting options, but I believe it does its work thru the hal
mechanism (not sure about that).

Anyway, you probably want to look into how to configure the hald
system, which you can do using the command-line utilities packaged
with hal.  You probably already have hal installed, so just try
typing hal-device at a command prompt and see what happens.