pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: Gerald L
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:12:29 -0600

Beartooth wrote:
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:34:56 -0600, Gerald L wrote:

Beartooth wrote:

        I don't have any /home/btth/bin, nor even a /home/btth/.bin; do I
just start with "mkdir bin"? Or does some wrinkle in Fedora mean I have
to move it from /home/btth to some place like /usr/bin? Or do I just
leave it where it is, without any bin directory? Or what? Where is
Fedora's version of Pan going to look for it??
You can actually put it anywhere you want. It is just fairly common
housekeeping practice to create a /home/username/bin directory as a
place to put executable files that you create -- as opposed to
executables that are installed by the system into /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
/bin, etc. ...

Hmmm ... I wouldn't bet on knowing a line of code if it bit me; but I certainly download a lot of executables -- mostly stuff like Opera that's not in my distro. Is there reason to put that there?

In Linux "line of code" is a misnomer. "Executable files" also include things like sh/bash scripts or anything else that does something when you type in the name and hit ENTER. Think .. DOS batch file.

Things like opera aren't usually just a single executable and generally include an install script that puts files where they need to go (usually either /usr/local/ for a sitewide install or $HOME for a single user install).

Some people simply place self-created executables into /usr/local/bin
because that should already exist but it is world-readable so
executables intended for a single user are more commonly put somewhere
in that user's /home directory.

So, yes:

mkdir /home/btth/bin
mv /home/btth/alpine_helper.pl /home/btth/bin/

        OK, I did both of those.

You may also want to check your /home/btth/.bash_profile to be certain
it includes a stanza like this somewhere (mine is at the bottom):

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists if [ -d ~/bin
] ; then
     PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

Mine has this : # Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi
Is that another form of the same thing? Or do I just add the PATH lines below it?
That will ensure you can use any executables you drop into your
/home/btth/bin directory without having to type the full path.

Verr-rr-rry intterr-rr-rresssttingg. .bash_profile turns out to be one of those things somebody walked me through once, long ago and far away, and then I kept not being able to find again. It now has a bunch of stuff at the bottom that's been out of date for years -- the mail accounts haven't existed for at least two or three. How much of the following should I just delete? (The last, very long, alias is actually all one line, from pine= to pinerc and the quotes.) Just the dead aliasses? Everything from the # on down?
# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH
unset USERNAME
alias Adelpine='/usr/bin/pine'
alias delpine='/usr/bin/pine'
alias pine='/usr/bin/pine -p "{Teton.vresl.com/novalidate-cert/
user=khnhms}remote_pinerc"'

The first line that adds $HOME/bin to your existing PATH is the equivalent of the lines from mine -- mine just does the extra bit of checking to see if $HOME/bin actually exists before blindly adding it.

If you're no longer using 'pine' directly you can safely remove those alias lines.