pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Problems unraring archives downloaded with PAN.

From: Keith Richie
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Problems unraring archives downloaded with PAN.
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:55:09 -0400

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:32 AM, David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 08:42:52PM -0700, Travis wrote:
>>
>> His command line didn't work.
>
> No kidding? Perhaps that is why the OP posted? As I explained earlier
> the unrar command line has an unusual uncommon syntax.
>
>> Double clicking always works for me.
>
> Not helping by not providing *any* detail as to why it works. As to
> what hooks were installed, what optional packages, or even what desktop
> you are running?
>
> I have the latest KDE installed, but I find its GUI file navigation too
> clumsy and use command line in a terminal window. OTOH I'm happy with
> Finder in MacOS X. Yet I still supplement with Terminal.app on Mac.
>
> You know that one can mount a .iso file by double-clicking in MacOS X?
> Clearly the solution to mounting .iso files is for everyone to run
> MacOS X.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden

unrar x $file
extracts $file with the full path. If the archive contains a folder
blah with file blah.blah. Using unrar x will produce
$PWD/blah/blah.blah.

unrar e $file
extracts $file to current directory without rebuilding the folder
structure. Following the above example you would end up with blah.blah
in the current directory.

If the OPs command is not a typo, the problem is with the '/' 's There
most likely isn't a rar archive located at / nor have write
permissions to / . IF there is a rar archive in / and  does have write
permission to / there's a whole other set of problems here.

qualifies as Linux?

double clicking also works for you.