pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:16:51 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 25 Mar 2009
17:24:16 +0000:

> I'm about ready to sign up for the bottom-level Giganews feed, and give
> it a priority one less than top. But I thought of a complication.
>
>       Using motzarella, I've been getting quite a few posts unreadable
> because, Pan says, they're not complete. If it finds an incomplete post
> on one (higher priority) server, and a complete one on another (lower
> priority) one, will it find and grab the complete one?

Binaries?  I thought you said you didn't do binaries?  But that's the
only ones that normally are multi-segment and thus can be "incomplete".

The reason I'm concerned is that the estimates I was using for volume
assumed no binaries.  If it's only the occasional binary, you should
still be fine with the 3 gig a month as that 3-6 times what most text
users will use, particularly if you get most posts elsewhere, but I'm
just worrying that the estimates were based on wrong assumptions and
therefore might be too low.

Note that it may be mostly-text posts but posted in HTML aka "rich text"
format, too, with "dancing bunny" gif sigs as attachments and the like.
These should still be reasonably small tho it'd bump the estimate up to
1-3 gigs/mo instead of half to 1 gig a month, but that's still within
reason.  But so-called "real binaries" could bump it higher, perhaps as
high as a gig a day or more if you're really active on them.

Perhaps you sign up for a month and follow your usage a couple weeks and
see what giganews says you are running?  $2.99 isn't that much to lose
either way, I suppose.

But to your question, if it's normal multi-segment posts, yes, pan will
download the segments that are available from the high priority servers,
then fall back to the lower priority servers to complete.  That's not a
problem.

You can tell whether it's multi-segment or not, and whether pan thinks it
can get all the parts or not, by the icons next to the posts.  A red/
broken puzzle piece is a post pan thinks is a binary, without all the
pieces.  A green/complete puzzle has all the pieces.  A closed envelope
indicates a(n unread) text post, or at least one pan thinks is text
(sometimes it's wrong).  An open envelope indicates an already read text
message.

Assuming you are indeed seeing multi-segment binaries, yes, pan will
download what it can from the high priority servers, then fall back to
the lower priority ones for completion.

If that assumption is incorrect... then I guess I need more data as at
this point I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.