pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Odd error messages

From: Pete Goudreau
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Odd error messages
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 20:30:58 -0500

Desktop is Gnome. Pan is v0.132 running under ubuntu 8.10 and these
messages show up in the std error pop-up complete with the red circle
and horizontal white bar symbol.  Doesn't happen all the time but when
it does it happens only when clicking send without any delay.

Both server and ng are too sensitive for public dissemination.

I checked the msg for the text and nothing even remotely close is there.
And the text is not reminiscent of any other text sent.  No other server
is used or any other group but one.

You're reading the description correctly, this only happens when hitting
send after composing a msg.  The reply however is shorter than the
quoted text, IIRC, in every instance.  But I do this regularly and get
the std msg which requires me to click to send anyway.  The ng in
question does not consider this poor etiquette but rather something of a
requirement.

As to copy and paste, this operation occurred after the first send
attempt with the error popup appearing carrying the first quoted text in
my original email.  The second msg appeared after the sequence of saving
as a draft, etc.  No three button mouse here although I still miss
having one (from Xerox Alto to Sun Solaris and HP-UX) so ctrl-x and
ctrl-v were used.

I always start text at the bottom of the quote or somewhere in the text
after editing to provide interleaved responses.  I don't mess with the
headers, they aren't displayed anyway, nor do I edit the first message
line and always leave a space after it, if that makes any sense.
Usually removing an x-archive line at the beginning added by the server
when outbound per my account setup or that of others.

I have a pretty good working relationship with the server admin and am
familiar with the server's error messages and their format, this isn't
one of them.  It may very well be something of an easter egg in the
ubuntu release.  However my first reaction is the machine is pwn3d.  And
I never use it for any sensitive info or any financial transactions.

The ufw was not enabled by default I discovered nor was clamAV installed
with the distro, both of which I've got running now.  The XP wireless
connection got connected a few times but through the firewall of my
router, doesn't take much though from what I understand.

I've used the system monitor and some other tools to look for traffic
and open ports, etc. but nothing particularly odd shows up.  And the
server in question requires smtpauth with ssl autentication.  SSL
authentication is also setup on the POP3 receive port per the admin's
listings at the main site.  This is for mail through the server but the
nntp connection is by username and password.

No idea how to un-pwn the box except to abandon all backups, wipe the
drive, clean reinstall XP from the recovery disk, and the same with the
ubuntu disk.  What a pita that'd be.  But I'm beginning to think this is
the only option left at this point.  Unless there's an app out there
that'll help track for this sort of thing.

Very strange behavior I agree and as I was sure, not something one would
expect as std output from pan.

Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.

Tnx,
Pete