pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting server according to the group one?

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting server according to the group one?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 09:31:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 25 May 2009 07:37:40 +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:

> This feels very very weird ... I have just tried to make a followup to
> message from news.grc.com and pan complained that it doesn't want to
> post to that newsgroup via news.gmane.org. WTF?
>
> Doesn't pan know where it get the newsgroup from? What's so complicated
> to expect that the followup would go to the same news server?

I also have found this very non-obvious, but what you have to do is to
designate a "posting profile" to each group you want to post to. Right
mouse on news.grc.com in the group list and select "Edit Selected Group's
Preferences". That brings up a dialog where you can choose a posting
profile from a pulldown. If there is no suitable posting profile on the
list, you can add a new one using Edit->Edit Posting Profiles. When you
set up the posting profile, you establish the server you want to use to
post, and also what E-mail address, signature, and a few other items you
want to use in those posts. I think the designer (Charles) would say that
a given group /could have/ come from more than one server, so it wants
you to specify which one to use.
-- David