pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting server according to the group one?

From: Matej Cepl
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting server according to the group one?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:28:56 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan, Mon, 25 May 2009 10:32:59 +0000:
> Special purpose or private servers such as gmane and grc just happen to
> be using the same NNTP protocol as normal USENET even if they aren't a
> part of it, and as such, it should be expected that they don't fit the
> general mold perfectly.  Being the only servers that carry those
> "groups" is one way they don't fit that mold.

OK, I take that grc.com or gmane.org are exceptions to the general Usenet
world ... I would venture that (at least among computer afflicted people)
they are becoming quite much more common than the big Usenet, but that's
disputable and no-one has any data, so I shut up on that.

> Meanwhile, if you can come up with a better and/or more intuitive idea
> for setting the posting server, one that works well regardless of
> whether one or many servers handle a particular group, I'm sure both
> Charles and everyone here would love to hear (read) it.  Just because I
> came up with this one doesn't mean I'd not prefer something else if it
> can be shown to be more effective and more intuitive!  Unfortunately,
> nobody's come up with anything better yet, so lacking that, we're stuck
> with my idea, as viewpoint-conditional as the logic for it admittedly
> is.

OK, at least there is a workaround, but I think that conceptually this
design is wrong ... I think you are mixing two things together:

a) identity for posting ... yes, of course, I understand need for double
identity, but then it should be really identity,

b) servers for posting ... you actually don't care about servers
(meaning, like real piece of hardware with separate IP address), but
something which my IRC client (xchat-gnome) would call "network". So, I
would have three networks defined:
1) gmane with one server news.gmane.org
2) grc with one server news.grc.com
3) usenet with (currently, but it may change anytime) news.felk.cvut.cz,
which is for "the real Usenet" (whatever it is).

The point is that separate network doesn't have to correspond to the real
piece of hardware and in the ideal case you could change servers without
disrupting organization of your messages.

If these two things were separated, I would have one identity for all of
these (my marriage is satisfying to me so I don't deal with porn, and I
really don't want to get into copyright infrigment stuff), and three
networks.

What do you think?

Matěj