pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of v

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very large groups?)
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 03:28:24 -0500

On 2009-07-05 03:11, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 01:30:40 pm Ron Johnson wrote:

A few months back, I broke my Kmail config, and decided I'd check
out Thunderbird (I haven't used it since it was part of Netscape
3). I gave it a good go, I really did, but it felt like I was being
asked to do carpentry with my hands cuffed together and a small
monkey riding on my back hitting me with over-ripe bananas.
How so?  I've used Tbird for years, after having used Evolution,
KMail (back in the KDE 2.x days) and Nutscrape 2.x-4.78.

Eh, it was just all the little things -- I couldn't get it to look right (fonts, icons, etc) and I wasn't willing to spend the time customising it. I didn't need to do that with Kmail -- the default look just is nicer, in my opinion, although I realise that's a subjective feeling.

Maybe mine's been configured for so long that I don't remember any more...

And I kept running into gotchas that annoyed me. Things like, when I would show all headers in a mail with the intention of copying them, I discovered that each line was a separate text control and you couldn't select text from two header lines simultaneously. Apparently you're expected to use a completely different interface, the View Source command, and select text from that. Grrr arggghhh.

The Mnenhy extension makes that easy. And reply-to-list is another vital add-on, especially for mailing lists (debian-*, for example) that don't munge reply-to headers.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer