pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of v

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very large groups?)
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 05:00:18 -0700

On 07/04/2009 06:58 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

The missus uses Thunderbird, and as near as we can tell, its spam
filtering is crap. She found false negative rates approaching 50% (half
the actual spam was flagged as good) and false positive rates
approaching 10% (one out of ten good emails was flagged as spam).

I've been running SpamAssassin for about two months now, and it catches
about 99% of spam with only four (not four percent, just four) false
positives...

Did you know that tbird has a built-in way to use SpamAssassin?  It's in
the Junk Settings tab of each individual mail account -- you get to choose
between SpamAssassin and SpamPal (which I've never heard of before).

I've never used it so I can't comment on how well it works, but you might
check it out and let us know what you think.