pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: My adventures when building from git

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: My adventures when building from git
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:12:08 +0000 (UTC)

Rhialto <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 25 Jul 2009
01:01:12 +0200:

> - gmime library version. Configure.in says
>   GMIME_REQUIRED=2.1.9
>   yet it checks for the version with
>   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GMIME, gmime-2.4    >= $GMIME_REQUIRED)
>
>   I do have version gmime-2.2.23 which is much higher than
>   $GMIME_REQUIRED, yet it won't be accepted since the package is
>   apparently called gmime-2.0 rather than gmime-2.4.

[snippage]

> So, basically everything except the gmime version specification being
> inconsistent was due to my own reluctance (or stubbornness ;-) of not
> wanting to install/update stuff.

The old official pan svn version, which I still have installed (I've not
updated the ebuild to handle git, tho I've instructions somewhere how to
do it), still required gmime-2.1.9, AFAIK.  Last I had really followed,
there was a bug with a patch partially updating to the gmime-2.4 API, but
it wasn't yet complete -- there were still some issues.

That's apparently stale info now, however, and the patch must be complete
now, and in the git version you compiled.

Of course the question then is, which git repository did you pull from,
the official pan upstream at gnome, or K. Haley's newer branch,
integrating several of the outstanding patches, likely including the
gmime-2.4 patch?

This interests me as I'm going to have to upgrade my pan-9999 "live"
ebuild here one of these days, to get with the times and pull from git.
As in the past I've cooperated with the Gentoo/Gnome devs on pan,
however, I'll likely stick to the official Gnome/upstream git repo for
primary and perhaps selectively patch based on K. Haley's version.  So
what I need to know is if the official Gnome git repository has that
gmime-2.4 patch committed, or not.  Then I'll have to ask the Gentoo devs
whether they want to include it or not if the Gnome git repo hasn't, and
go from there.

Meanwhile, Gentoo luckily slots the gmime package, with 2.2.23 in the old
slot-0 (unslotted/default), 2.4.3 stabilized in slot-2.4 for amd64, ppc
and x86, and 2.4.6 and 2.4.7 as slot-2.4 ~arch (unstable) across the arch
board (~alpha ~amd64 ~hppa ~ia64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~sparc ~x86 ~x86-fbsd).

Since package versions of different slots can be installed in parallel,
that means 2.2.23, the only one left of the old series, can on Gentoo be
installed in parallel with 2.4.x, where x  can be 3/6/7.  Thus, at least
on Gentoo, both gmime-2.2.23 and the new 2.4 series are independent and
packages depending on either can be installed without interfering with
those depending on the other.

If it's possible to have them installed in parallel on Gentoo, then
(possibly with some work,) it should also be possible on other *ix,
including the NetBSD you said you're running.

But meanwhile, whichever git you are using apparently hadn't resolved
that gmime version required inconsistency properly.  If it's K. Haley's
he'll very likely see this and update it within days.  If it's upstream
Gnome (aka Charles' repo), who knows, but updating the existing gmime 2.4
patch bug and/or filing a new one on it (preferably mentioning the old
one) would be a good idea.