pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan acting weird

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan acting weird
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 00:39:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:12:46 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> I'm running Pan 0.133 on Fedora 10, and until a few days ago, all was
> well.  Then, I accidentally opened it twice.  As soon as I realized what
> I'd done, I closed one copy before reading any news in the other one.
> All seemed OK.  The next time I opened it, Pan downloaded all of the
> messages in both of the (text only) groups I read.  Not only that, it
> would move to the next unread message, but not download or display it
> until I clicked on it in the header pane.
>
> This went on for two or three days.  This morning, the moment I clicked
> on a message in the header pane, it marked all posts as read.  I presume
> something's gotten corrupted, but I don't know what to fix, purge or
> delete.  Suggestions?

Pan keeps track of read/unread status in ~/.pan2/newsrc-N, where N is a
number from 1 to the number of news servers you use.  (One file for each
news server.)

I've found that just refetching *all* headers from the affected group
usually resets everything for that group, and then I can go from there.

However, I'm guessing that the effect of doing the refetch may depend on
how many servers carry that particular group.  Dunno for sure.

You do the refetch by right-clicking on the name of the group and picking
"Get Headers..." from the popup menu.