pan-users

[Pan-users] Pan hanging on exit

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: [Pan-users] Pan hanging on exit
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:01:10 -0700

For the last several days, Pan has been very slow to exit. The window turns gray (a gnome thing, to tell you that the program's Very Busy) and a dialog pops up asking if I want to force quit. If I cancel, it will eventually close after several minutes.

At first, I thought it was a problem with newsrc. Checking, I found that the list of articles for my main group was in several sections, so I changed it to 0-N. This brought back the old "mark them all read when you select the group" issue, but at least, I know what to do about that.

Alas, the main issue hasn't changed. Looking in ~/.pan2, I find that the article cache has over 3,000 entries and is several meg in size. All this from two newsgroups, neither of which allows binaries. I suspect that this is part of the problem, but can't find a way within pan to clear the cache and don't want to do it by hand until I'm sure it's safe. Suggestions?

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?