pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan hanging on exit

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan hanging on exit
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:33:09 -0700

walt wrote:

Do you mean minutes literally, e.g. 120 seconds or more?  What is your
CPU usage during this interval?

Yes: sometimes five to ten minutes, with top showing pan using anywhere from 48-82% of my CPU usage.

Yes, you can delete the article-cache directory completely and pan will
just make a new one.  When in doubt, I just rename a directory instead
of deleting it, and then I can always put it back if something breaks.

I tried it, but no change. In fact, it insisted that all the messages in my group were unread. I had to resort, mark everything before today unread and redo everything. Then, it hung so badly that I had to force-quit, and top showed that it was still running in the background until kill -9 put an end to it.

Having said all this, my gut feeling is that the problem is elsewhere,
like in the connection(s) to your news-server(s), for example.

One news server, and I find it hard to understand how that could have such an effect on exit.

You might try starting pan from a terminal prompt with the --debug flag.
Sometimes that will yield some helpful hints.

I just did: all the messages that I'd read today were marked unread again. The last messages are here:

(socket-impl-gio.cc:548:set_watch_mode) set_watch_mode 2: _tag_watch is now 0
(nntp.cc:107:fire_done_func) I (0xa555690) am setting my _listener to 0
(nntp-pool.cc:114:check_in) nntp 0xa555690 is being checked in, health is 0
(data-impl.cc:102:save_state) data-impl dtor saving xov, newsrc...

After the first message above, it went into Deep Thought again, and I started replying to your message. When I went back, it had finally exited with the rest of the messages.

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?