pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:01:36 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:58:50 -0500 as excerpted:

> I don't understand this.
>
> A PC can store all your FLACs organized by artist and album, using
> symlinks to create playlists, and also "echo" them into low-bitrate MP3s
> for you to regularly copy into your MP3 player+earbuds, burn WAVs onto
> CDs for your car, or even create high-bitrate MP3s if your car sound
> system is so equipped.
>
> And managing huge a music library from your PC is so much easier than
> from the tiny window of your MP3 player.

But if it's all there on the MP3 player, there's no need to worry about
trying to decide just /what/ to copy over, and then finding you're in a
totally different mood, and it's the /wrong/ thing for your new mood,
when you're on your trip and don't have access to just go grab something
else.

Or as I've mentioned, if you for instance get talking to someone about a
band from two decades ago that you have a half dozen albums of... sitting
at home on the computer!

If the media aka MP3 player layout is well organized, and don't forget,
we're talking customized firmware/software for it here, so symlinks and
all that sort of thing should be equally doable on it as on the home
system (even more so on a netbook, with full OS and full if a bit size
constrained keyboard/touchpad/display, again a bonus of the netbook over
a plain mp3 player for that), navigation works pretty much the same way
as it would on the home system.

Of course a new thought I mentioned in a different reply, but new to me
during this discussion, is that a netbook gives you the best of both
worlds, then, because it's still possible to grab a now even smaller and
cheaper mp3 player, thus getting all the size and longer playtime
benefits it offers for short term use, while still having the netbook
tucked away in the bag, in case something does come up and you want to
reload something right then.  Sort of the scout and mother ship
concept...  That's not doable with just the mp3 player alone, unless it's
the huge 100-gig-plus version, and that's still less convenient than the
netbook plus mp3 player option.