pan-users

[Pan-users] Bye bye pan 0.14, what's next for pan 0.1xx?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Bye bye pan 0.14, what's next for pan 0.1xx?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:36:45 +0000 (UTC)

I've kept my pan 0.14.whatever binary around for some time, unused,
except to occasionally start it up in ordered to reference the UI to
answer someone's question.  But those questions have gotten few and far
between, as even the official pan 0.13x package seems to be accumulating
bitrot these days.  So late yesterday and early today I was doing some
system cleanup and updating my backups, I finally deleted my old 0.14
version config and cache.  With it gone, I decided there was little use
keeping the binary around either, so a half hour or so ago I deleted it,
and unmerged the one single-case dependency I had kept around for it,
gnet.

Of the regulars here, AFAIK, I was the only one to keep a copy of the old
version around for reference, so now that it's gone, an era is truly
ended.  For several years now we/I have already been telling anyone still
wanting support for the old version that it's a dead-end, and while we'll
try to answer questions we can, there'll be no more updates or anything
coming out for it, so it's really best to upgrade.  Now it's even more
so.  Naturally, I'll still try to answer questions when I can, but
there'll be more I'll not be able to answer now... if anyone's still
around to ask them.

So anyway...  Bye bye pan 0.1x, you served me well! =:^)

Now one of these days I just need to get around to updating my pan-live
ebuild for git.  It's still set for svn, or was, last I checked (it's in
the Gentoo tree, after I submitted it some time ago).  Some other Gentoo
user posted the instructions and it didn't look hard, but I've not done
it yet... and obviously haven't updated pan in about a year as a result.

But, I'm think I might base it on khaley's tree, seeing as that's where
the development seems to happen these days (tho I did just admit I've not
actually synced with the gnome-pan tree in ordered to see what's actually
there, in awhile)...