pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:11:01 +1000

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:45:50 am walt wrote:
> The 'infrastructure' I keep referring to has to do only with the
> GUI interface of pan.  The critical parts that you (Charles) have
> spent so much effort in optimizing for speed and memory use, are
> all in c++, am I right?
>
> So -- why not implement the pan GUI in java and let each platform
> deal with the optimized c++ part in its own way (already done)?

Please no. Pan is nice and snappy and responsive, and works reasonably
well even in relatively low-end machines with not a lot of memory. The
last thing we want is to pair a fast, snappy engine with a UI that
takes forever to start up, looks hideous, requires vast amounts of
memory, and ends up clomping around with lead boots squashing
everything in it's path. Separation of the back-end from the front-end
is a perfectly sensible idea. It's only the use of Java as the default
front-end which I object to.

--
Steven D'Aprano