pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Here's something weird....

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Here's something weird....
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 04:48:52 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Thu, 01 Oct 2009 01:22:53 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 01:13:22 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Today I started playing around with learning the Dvorak keyboard
>> layout, and I found that when I switch to a different group, the "G"
>> key in the Dvorak layout doesn't do a "next group with unread", but
>> just does nothing.  If I press "I" (which is where the "G" key is on
>> the QWERTY keyboard layout), I get the next group, but then my keyboard
>> mapping is switched back to a standard US layout.
>>
>> It seems that Pan should just accept whatever keyboard layout is
>> selected.  Anyone else able to reproduce?
>
> Found at least part of the problem - I had accidentally selected the
> option for a different layout per application.  Turning that off has
> helped, but now what happens is that I get both keys doing the same
> thing (ie, "shift+G" goes to the next group, but so does "shift+U").
>
> But if I switch from this compose window to switch groups and then
> switch back, the layout has reverted to QWERTY.  So still not what I
> expected.

What about accel remapping?  Have you tried that?  There's two ways to do
it.

1) GUI method.

If you have some setting in your gtk2rc file (I don't recall what, but
some distributions enable it by default I think, and you can check the
archives from some years ago), it'll allow you to remap keys from the
UI.  Hover over a menu entry with the mouse, and hit the key (plus
modifiers if desired) you want to switch to.

The caveats are that you need that setting in your gtk2rc file, and there
are some accels you can't set that way -- any menu accel key, plus things
like esc, enter, and delete.

2. Edit the accels.txt file itself.

The accels.txt file is in your pan dir, ~/.pan2 by default.  Edit it with
a normal text editor (with pan closed of course).  Semicolons at the
beginning of a line indicate a comment.  Remember to uncomment anything
you change.

I use this method here, as it allows a bit more flexibility in what keys
can be set, and I have my own little scheme going.  The caveats are that
it's just a pan accel dump, not particularly ordered, so it's hard to
find what you want, and that pan rewrites it in its own scrambled order
whenever it is shut down, so you can't just reorder it, save it, and
expect it to be the same order the next time you want to change something.

What I've done here is copy the file to something else (accels.txt.jed,
IIRC, jed being my initials), then reorder and make my changes to the
copy.  When I want to change something, I make the change, then copy it
back over the file pan actually uses.  Of course, that also allows you to
edit your ordered copy with pan open, since pan won't rewrite it.

Of course there's several ways one could chose to order it.  I chose menu
order.  At the bottom, I also put a table (commented with ; of course)
listing all the key and modifier permutations and the function they're
assigned to, making it easier for me to track what's what.