pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: NZB files directly from firefox or other browser or

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: NZB files directly from firefox or other browser or file manager.
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:56:20 -0700

On 10/13/2009 Alan Meyer wrote:
That seems safer to me than killing a process you had forgotten
was running or, if on a multi-user system, a process that another
user was running.

I have, several times, caused problems by accidentally starting Pan twice without realizing it. (Mostly, the program gets tangled up about which articles have been read until I edit the newsrec file.) I'd like to suggest that Pan create a file, pan.lok, in its own directory and remove it again on exit so that you can't have two copies using the same configuration at the same time. (For Linux, at least, you can open the file, creating it, delete it and then close it at exit because the delete will be delayed until after it's closed. That way, if Pan crashes, the lock still gets removed. Alas, I don't remember what happens under Windows if you try that; you might need to run Pan from a batch file that makes sure the lock goes away even if the program failed to clean up properly.)

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?