pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:11:09 +1100

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:51:52 pm Duncan wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano posted on Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:34:21 +1100 as
excerpted:
> > For what it's worth, I agree with Petr. The removal of the
> > automatically-save-sent-emails functionality was very nearly a deal
> > breaker for me:
>
> Well, they're saved automatically, the same as any other post you
> download, and expired automatically, at the time you tell it to
> expire, the same as any other post you download...

You're assuming that they are downloaded.

If I press Send on a post, that doesn't get new headers, let alone the
bodies of the posts. That's a separate operation, and it might never be
done.

Or the post might be lost -- News, like email, does not guarantee
delivery. I've had posts sent by me disappear because my ISP's news
server, for reasons unknown to me, displayed my posts with an empty
body.

> But I agree, the feature would indeed be a good one to have.  It's
> simply that, perhaps unfortunately but it's a real world we live in,
> there's very little actual new development going on with pan,

Well, yes, and I suppose I can't complain too much, seeing as it's
Charles' itch that he has scratched, and I'm grateful enough to have
some benefit from it. But the thing that irks me is that the old Pan
had the functionality (imperfect as it was), and new Pan took it away.

--
Steven D'Aprano