pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Jeremy Elliott
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:57:28 -0800 (PST)

From: Duncan <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Fri, March 5, 2010 2:58:04 PM
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Building Pan on Windows?

Jeremy Elliott posted on Fri, 05 Mar 2010 07:13:20 -0800 as excerpted:

> > Hey, I've looked through the archives, plus tried searching, and can't
> > find any instructions on building Pan from source using Windows. I
> > thought that I'd saw it before, but can't find it now.
> >
> > Does anyone have detailed instructions on doing this?

> I think one of the guys providing MS executables had some instructions at
> one time, but I don't do servantware, haven't for some time, and with anti-
> features such as having to ask MS permission to run, am not likely to as
> long as those anti-features remain, so don't have the details.

As much as I agree with you in principle, unfortunately most games don't work on Linux, so I'm stuck with Windows, since my computer is mostly for entertainment purposes. It's also kinda tricky getting video files working on Linux (done it, and remember it wasn't easy getting all the codecs I needed), so no really easy way to switch just now. Pan doesn't require the elevation thing, though, except for installing, so at least it's safe there.

> > Also, has [there] been any development in the last two years?
> > The latest version I'm seeing is 0.133, have their been any changes
> > made to the source that would make compiling it worthwhile?

> There have been a few patches, tho mostly you'll find them in khaley's git
> repo, not in the official upstream gnome pan repo, yet.  In particular
> there's one that fixes corruption of many-part binaries in some cases.  If
> you do binaries, you'll likely be interested.  If you do only/mostly text
> and no many-part binaries (so still images probably won't count, neither
> should single-song mp3s, tho whole albums might, and movies of any size
> likely will), it's possible you'll not find anything worth bothering with.

I download mostly pics, but for whatever reason, they're still usually multi-part. I haven't hit the bug you're talking about, though, unless you're talking about where sometimes a file will say it has errors, but if you redownload it, it comes through fine. So that one doesn't bother me too much. Usually the videos I download (TV shows mostly) have .par2 files, so they correct any other issues.

> But AFAIK, at least one of the guys doing MS executables (IIRC there were
> two) has been building from the khaley sources, so using his should get
> you the patches already.  Again, I don't do servantware, so haven't
> bothered keeping up with the details.

They might be, but the most recent build for Windoze is the one by Steve Davies, which is dated 090820, I'm assuming that's August 20, 2009. So I have no idea if there are updates past that which I'm missing. Thank you for the answer, though, because it has been very helpful to me, since it reminded me to check their pages for updates. I had the one which Mr. Davies had built, so maybe I have most of the patches you mentioned.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.  No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman