pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan and rsync

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan and rsync
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 20:49:20 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:02:39 -0400 as excerpted:

> Right now, I'm at NASFIC, in Raleigh, NC.  Last night, I used rsync to
> update the copy of Pan on my laptop.  I used rsync -av, but didn't see
> newsrc in the list of files updated.  Checking, the two copies didn't
> match, so I corrected it by ftp.  Maybe this is the reason it didn't
> work right before.

That could be it.

As to why... quoting from the manpage, "Rsync  finds  files  that need to
be transferred using a "quick check" algorithm (by default) that looks for
files that have changed in size or in last-modified time."  Was the size
the same?  The mod-time shouldn't have been, if they were different, but...

You can try the -c (--checksum) option too, but if you have lots of files
to check, it'll be significantly slower due to the need to checksum them
all on both sides.

The other possibility I can think of is that ACLs (do you run SELinux,
Fedora does I believe, no idea on others) or other perms issues might have
prevented it, for some reason.  I'd especially consider SELinux/ACLs if
they apply on your system, as it's quite possible that the distribution
default rsyncd ACLs are somewhat restricted (default to safe, people can
open it up further if necessary), on the assumption people may be using it
as a public rsync server.